F1 2021 Round 2: Emilia Romagna GP, Imola

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Bottom post of the previous page:

My problem is that I can absolutely not remember what happened in this race last year. Was it even good?
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

My immediate recollection is that it was one of the worst races of the year.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Imola has one problem: its difficult to pass. Only the Tamburello is a passing zone.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Yep. They should tighten it, or perhaps remove the Villeneuve chicane, if Tosa has sufficient run-off. But why bother when this may be the last F1 race here for a while I suppose..
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Russell crashed under the safety car, Max retired with a blowout. Hamilton won.

I don't know if the last claim is correct, but I assume it is.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... erstappen/

Do we on side-lines possess enough evidence to substantiate claims of this kind? Perez is relatively new to the equipment which is Verstappen's home for very long time, and tuned to his liking. I would wait for a while before even this should become a hot topic. He might be slower at the end, but why jump a gun now?

I am intrigued by following quote:
Jed Mercurio: ‘There’s a certain cohort of prominent journalists who practise disinformation’
Mr. Mercurio is a mastermind behind ongoing hot English drama, and most certainly he was quoted in different context, but sometimes I feel his sentiment applies to F1 as well. People who are making living off the F1 on sidelines must invent stories, and perhaps not always those turn as good ones.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Aty wrote: 2 years ago http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... erstappen/

Do we on side-lines possess enough evidence to substantiate claims of this kind? Perez is relatively new to the equipment which is Verstappen's home for very long time, and tuned to his liking. I would wait for a while before even this should become a hot topic. He might be slower at the end, but why jump a gun now?
I think, given the circumstances of the race Perez did well..... lets not forget through no fault of his own, Sergio's car failed on the warm up lap forcing him to start from pit lane. That A) he had the nouse to Control Alt Delete a new to him system and refire the car without help, and B) the fact that he then proceeded to fight through the traffic to get up to 5th position (having been running in 4th until his final stop). Without the warm up lap hiccup, Sergio was in a position that suits him particularly.... a chance to make hay on a different tyre to many of those ahead of himYes he messed up in qualifying, failing to make Q3 by 3/100ths. His main problem was he had his quicker first lap time deleted for track limits, and the teams decision to make him try on the medium tyre left Sergio struggling. He could not 'turn the tyre on' so missed out.

Sergio did also manage to do a faster lap time in the race than all but Bottas and Max.

Re the report I think it is a pretty standard lack of news day clickbait report that seems to be common these days, a report based on a journalistic fantasy.

Will Sergio match Max? I very much doubt it, and if he did he would no doubt get in trouble for interfering with the anointed one. Will he get closer to Max than Gasly or Albon? I think he probably will. His race performance was excellent. He probably is better than Max in tyre management. Qualifying is his problem. To judge him after just one qualifying session is premature. Im sure as he becomes more familiar with the car, a car set up for Max and with a new to him 'high-rake ' philosophy, he will be qualifying closer to Max and making Q3.

As a footnote he made a better job of his team debut that the guy who was selected to take his place at the now Aston Martin team.
Vettel is the one with real issues at this stage of the season.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Picci wrote: 2 years ago My problem is that I can absolutely not remember what happened in this race last year. Was it even good?
I only remember George Russell self-spinning into the wall under yellow flag on the downhill approach to Aqua Minerale.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

SB83 wrote: 2 years ago
Picci wrote: 2 years ago My problem is that I can absolutely not remember what happened in this race last year. Was it even good?
I only remember George Russell self-spinning into the wall under yellow flag on the downhill approach to Aqua Minerale.
I remember that and the fact Lewis got gifted the race after being able to pit under a VSC.

Unfortunately for Bottas he was leading and got the first call to pit.... Lewis forced to stay out. More than a pit stop behind when the VSC was deployed, Lewis was able to pit and rejoin with a comfortable lead. :whistling:

Also remember Perez making a great pass on Albon, following which Albon spun on his. own..... perhaps the pivotal point in both Sergio and Alex's RBR futures. :dunno:

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Perez himself said it would probably take 5 races to fully get up to speed and understand the car.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve

Post by P. Cornelius Scipio »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago Yep. They should tighten it, or perhaps remove the Villeneuve chicane, if Tosa has sufficient run-off. But why bother when this may be the last F1 race here for a while I suppose..
The Villeneuve chicane is a big problem, the point is that the run off area to the left of the track there is quite narrow and for insurance reasons they can't go back to the old layout (poor Ratzenberger got killed there). Otherwise they would have to demolish the old farmhouse on the inside of Tosa (it looked derelict 30 odd years ago... one has to wonder what a mess that house must be now...) but a regulation in Emilia Romagna (the region were I come from...) prevents the demolition of old farmhouses, I'm not making this up, the countryside is littered with derelict farmhouses but they can't pull them down because some weirdo thought that if they could be demolished we would lose our heritage.

I think that it should be possible to see some overtakes under braking for Rivazza, other than that the run down to Tamburello is not great because the braking distance is very short. It's a pity that they can't fix the Villeneuve chicane (for that bl..dy farmhose) because Tosa used to be a great spot for overtaking, often the guy on the outside would try to resit because going into Piratella it's ad advantage to be on the outside

Other than that since I'm in the area tomorrow I'll try if I can get a view of the track, I was in Imola the other day for work and there were no barriers of any sort, the grandstands were locked but otherwise it was free for all
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

If we get a race in 2022, the new regs might fix the track for us.. but let's hope the world's back to normal by then 😉
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

One of nice changes to current routine would be in AM garage. I hope to see their drivers pounding track literally within minutes as soon as clock allows them to do so. That chronic idling in the garage half of the practice time needs to stop, if they plan to go anywhere on score board. Practice time means practice! They have it in the name. Read it, please.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 2 years ago
The Villeneuve chicane is a big problem, the point is that the run off area to the left of the track there is quite narrow and for insurance reasons they can't go back to the old layout (poor Ratzenberger got killed there). Otherwise they would have to demolish the old farmhouse on the inside of Tosa (it looked derelict 30 odd years ago... one has to wonder what a mess that house must be now...) but a regulation in Emilia Romagna (the region were I come from...) prevents the demolition of old farmhouses, I'm not making this up, the countryside is littered with derelict farmhouses but they can't pull them down because some weirdo thought that if they could be demolished we would lose our heritage.
It's not "some weirdo" - there's this thing called democracy, where majorities decide what to do and what not to do. Tough luck if those decisions don't suit you.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago My immediate recollection is that it was one of the worst races of the year.
Saw a highlights clip, and a lot actually happened!

The racing itself may have been meh, but the race overall wasn't boring.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

P1 is underway now

..... and Mazespin has managed to rotate the Haas in the first 5 minutes. He had a moment down at Rivazza, spinning into the deep gravel trap. He is lucky to have got going again, but does drag a fair bit of the gravel back onto track with him