Unreliable site

Announcements of any new features or alternations to the forum will be posted here. This is the place to submit any problems you have or suggestions on how to improve the forum.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Unreliable site

Post by PTRACER »

I am obviously aware the site is being unreliable today. Apparently there is a connection issue with the server this forum is hosted on.

I am seriously considering moving this forum over to a new host. Does anyone feel the 'problems' with this site are bad enough that I should move?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

What timespan are we talking about? I feel like it's more stable than this spring
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago I am obviously aware the site is being unreliable today. Apparently there is a connection issue with the server this forum is hosted on.

I am seriously considering moving this forum over to a new host. Does anyone feel the 'problems' with this site are bad enough that I should move?
I have noticed problems for the past week now. Sometimes a few times per day. Being in lockdown and not allowed out really, I tend to log in a few times a day at the moment. When I go to log in if it doesnt load straight away I know to bail out and do something else. Or if im logged in It will suddenly, in the middle of a session when I press a link to another post it will just say waiting on TFL in the bottom corner, for a while, then trying to establish connection, and then will either time out or just be stuck on the page. It is usually like it for 10-15 mins, sometimes less. I just close the window and try later. Reloading the page does nothing, hitting submit on a post if you click a second /third time in impatient moments just results in coming back to find double posts. Going to another site is no problem so it is website related, not my computer.
Its a pain in the arse when it happens as it did mid Belgian GP when trying tp post live race updates... or the Gio / Russell crash. :wink:

If I log in and its playing up I just go to another website and try again later, or go and do something else.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

I've also had a few occasions where I've tried to load a page here and it's just timed out. Usually I then immediately reload the page and it works again. The only time I had serious problems was during the Belgian GP, where I basically couldn't load anything for 5-10 minutes or so while a couple of other sites I had up were working fine.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Cheeveer wrote: 3 years ago What timespan are we talking about? I feel like it's more stable than this spring
Well, they migrated the server in March and for the first month or so, we would have outages every day. They fixed that. And lately there are these connection issues which plague us every so often.

Timespan wise, the site could be down for 2-3 days at most. 1-2 for the domain name to transfer. On day 2 and 3, I would have to work morning until night to copy over all the data and restore the forum I expect.

Is it worth it?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago I am obviously aware the site is being unreliable today. Apparently there is a connection issue with the server this forum is hosted on.

I have noticed problems for the past week now. Sometimes a few times per day. Being in lockdown and not allowed out really, I tend to log in a few times a day at the moment. When I go to log in if it doesnt load straight away I know to bail out and do something else. Or if im logged in It will suddenly, in the middle of a session when I press a link to another post it will just say waiting on TFL in the bottom corner, for a while, then trying to establish connection, and then will either time out or just be stuck on the page. It is usually like it for 10-15 mins, sometimes less. I just close the window and try later. Reloading the page does nothing, hitting submit on a post if you click a second /third time in impatient moments just results in coming back to find double posts. Going to another site is no problem so it is website related, not my computer.
Its a pain in the arse when it happens as it did mid Belgian GP when trying tp post live race updates... or the Gio / Russell crash. :wink:

If I log in and its playing up I just go to another website and try again later, or go and do something else.
theracer120 wrote: 3 years ago I've also had a few occasions where I've tried to load a page here and it's just timed out. Usually I then immediately reload the page and it works again. The only time I had serious problems was during the Belgian GP, where I basically couldn't load anything for 5-10 minutes or so while a couple of other sites I had up were working fine.
Same as all the above here.

I'm a semi-newbie here so 'realize I don't carry much weight (as I shouldn't) but....... Regarding "Is it worth it?"....not so far to me, but then, I'd survive the "time out" if you went ahead with the move. Image

(but wait 'til after Italy..... ;))
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

I have not had any problems with the site, but I am on EST (Eastern Standard Time) so am posting outside of the times that most people are posting.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Thanks for the feedback. Forum was inaccessible again this morning Japan time so I'm going to move hosts. I can't have a website running like this.

jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jimclark »

Here too a couple o'times. You've got to do what you've got to do.... Image

jimclark
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

I've had one hiccup last weekend when I tried to write up something for the 24h du Moto Le Mans . Hit the the submit button and off it went. I just had the luck that returning to last page worked quick enough to not lose the work put into
Other than that, I didn't run into any the past couple of days
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Andy wrote: 3 years ago I've had one hiccup last weekend when I tried to write up something for the 24h du Moto Le Mans . Hit the the submit button and off it went. I just had the luck that returning to last page worked quick enough to not lose the work put into
Other than that, I didn't run into any the past couple of days
I guess I just spend too much time on this site...I have issues up to 3 times a day. Sometimes it is just slow. Sometimes it is not accessible at all for about 10-15 minutes.

Anyway, I went ahead and signed up with a new host. It's $0.01 for the first month. I have signed up in such a way that this forum will not go offline, until I tell it to. However, if this site does suddenly go down, you know what has happened. Maximum downtime should be 24 hours, but could be as little as 4 hours.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

:thumbsup: Thanks Paul.

I have had problems trying to log in while P2 was on but couldnt get on for 10-15 mins. Happened earlier on as well as this morning.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Happened to me again just now.

I will try to have the new host up and running by qualifying tomorrow

XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Has not been an issue that I noticed, but I post very infrequently and I use an outdated iOs. Perhaps some of the issues I thought was the old iOs are actually the host site acting up? Must be the site...

Since Monday is a holiday in the US, I'll have to find something else to do beside lurking in the depths of the Fastlane.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jimclark »

Meet me over in Daytona Winghouse....some tasty little things......and some good chicken wings too. :mrgreen:

(I'm making my "test" run tomorrow after Italy, or early Monday. Best shot at no "rush hour" traffic)

jimclark