RIP Murray Walker (1923-2021)

'Like' button in Motorsport Discussion

Announcements of any new features or alternations to the forum will be posted here. This is the place to submit any problems you have or suggestions on how to improve the forum.

Do you want it back?

Yes
8
62%
No
5
38%
 
Total votes: 13

User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 39308
Joined: 17 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Location: U.K.
Contact:

'Like' button in Motorsport Discussion

Post by PTRACER » 9 months ago

The button was disabled in the Motorsports Discussion forums to encourage people to reply to each other with real posts.
In the Photos and Videos forums, the button is enabled so we can 'thank' for content and it keeps those sections tidy.

However, if people want it back, I can reinstate it. Let me know your thoughts.
King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records

User avatar
Ian-S
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Posts: 9984
Joined: 13 years ago

Post by Ian-S » 9 months ago

You'll get annoyed with me when I spam the Board with posts just containing "thanks" pretty quick I think...

Sometimes there is no need to continue a conversation, the thanks mod kind of gives you a way to say you've read that persons reply without having to clutter up the forum more.

IMHO
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.

User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 39308
Joined: 17 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Location: U.K.
Contact:

Post by PTRACER » 9 months ago

Bump.
King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records

User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 31614
Joined: 15 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0l twin turbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 9 months ago

The like button is quite useful.... if I really like something I usually post a comment as well. Sometimes I would say I click like when I probably wouldnt post anything anyway.
Often I will 'like' something and try and add to what I liked, or why I liked it, so I wouldnt say I click like instead of posting.

*Sebastian, Lance is faster than you... do you understand?*


*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

User avatar
Ruslan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 568
Joined: 10 months ago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually
Location: Washington, DC

Post by Ruslan » 9 months ago

They had it in one forum I was recently at. I am not sure it is a good idea. It does seem to dumb down the discussion and also sort of leads to "cliquishness," which was a problem with that forum.

I voted no.

Curious to get @Star opinion on this, as she was also recently there.

User avatar
SB83
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 3256
Joined: 17 years ago
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Ecosport
Location: Mumbai, India

Post by SB83 » 9 months ago

Everso Biggyballies wrote:
9 months ago
The like button is quite useful.... if I really like something I usually post a comment as well. Sometimes I would say I click like when I probably wouldnt post anything anyway.
Often I will 'like' something and try and add to what I liked, or why I liked it, so I wouldnt say I click like instead of posting.
Exactly, I'm not going to type a post simply to say 'I agree' and that's where a like button is useful. But if I truly have something to add to what the person I agreed with said, I'm going to say it anyway. Therefore, not having a like button just to 'encourage' me to post something is logic I just don't get. I thought the motorsport discussion forum didn't have a like button because it was a bug in the software or something lol.

User avatar
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 917
Joined: 3 years ago
Real Name: jim
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now
Location: Champion Porsche/Audi territory

Post by jimclark » 9 months ago

SB83 wrote:
9 months ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote:
9 months ago
The like button is quite useful.... if I really like something I usually post a comment as well. Sometimes I would say I click like when I probably wouldnt post anything anyway.
Often I will 'like' something and try and add to what I liked, or why I liked it, so I wouldnt say I click like instead of posting.
Exactly, I'm not going to type a post simply to say 'I agree' and that's where a like button is useful. But if I truly have something to add to what the person I agreed with said, I'm going to say it anyway. Therefore, not having a like button just to 'encourage' me to post something is logic I just don't get. I thought the motorsport discussion forum didn't have a like button because it was a bug in the software or something lol.
............. ^ LIKE ^ ..........(hint, hint ;))
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark

User avatar
Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 420
Joined: 11 months ago
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: JV & Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Location: England

Post by Star » 9 months ago

I honestly couldn't decide for a while which way to vote on this, sorry. My problem was that I can see both sides of the argument. :dunno:

Sometimes the button is very useful to let someone know you agree with them or that you would have said the same thing, however it is also a way of communicating without actually bothering to communicate if you see what I mean.

The point @Ruslan made about the other place we were at is a valid one, it did sort of lead to groups of people all just pressing the button and assuming they had done enough. Plus in a way you sort of felt excluded if your posts weren't 'liked' by them, or at least I felt that way, maybe that's just me though. :oops:

On balance I guess I'd have to say no, sorry.
Just so you know, I am a woman

User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 39308
Joined: 17 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Location: U.K.
Contact:

Post by PTRACER » 9 months ago

Thanks for the feedback Star. I tend to agree with your reasons for keeping it out of Motorsport Discussion.

I think the conclusion is - keep it disabled for now.
King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records

User avatar
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 917
Joined: 3 years ago
Real Name: jim
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now
Location: Champion Porsche/Audi territory

Post by jimclark » 9 months ago

Star wrote:
9 months ago
Plus in a way you sort of felt excluded if your posts weren't 'liked' by them,
So what? If you believe in what you're posting, and have rationale to back it, then to 'ell with "them". Take a stand and don't cower......
Your opinion is as valid as anyone's. :)
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark

User avatar
Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 420
Joined: 11 months ago
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: JV & Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Location: England

Post by Star » 8 months ago

PTRACER wrote:
9 months ago
Thanks for the feedback Star. I tend to agree with your reasons for keeping it out of Motorsport Discussion.

I think the conclusion is - keep it disabled for now.
The irony being if there had been a like button I'd have liked this post ;) :agreepost:
jimclark wrote:
9 months ago
Star wrote:
9 months ago
Plus in a way you sort of felt excluded if your posts weren't 'liked' by them,
So what? If you believe in what you're posting, and have rationale to back it, then to 'ell with "them". Take a stand and don't cower......
Your opinion is as valid as anyone's. :)
Thanks @jimclark :thumbsup: I don't cower but I do have little self esteem at times. I try not to have, but there you go.
Just so you know, I am a woman

User avatar
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 917
Joined: 3 years ago
Real Name: jim
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now
Location: Champion Porsche/Audi territory

Post by jimclark » 8 months ago

Image
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark

DoubleFart
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 3686
Joined: 6 years ago
Real Name: YouKnowWho
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart » 8 months ago

Ruslan wrote:
9 months ago
Curious to get @Star opinion on this, as she was also recently there.
Biggest plot twist of the thread. I had no idea. :thumbsup:
Founder and Life President: Lance Stroll Hate Club

Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018 Champion
Gavle Yule Goal Predictor 2019 Champion

User avatar
Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 420
Joined: 11 months ago
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: JV & Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Location: England

Post by Star » 8 months ago

PTRACER wrote:
9 months ago
Thanks for the feedback Star. I tend to agree with your reasons for keeping it out of Motorsport Discussion.

I think the conclusion is - keep it disabled for now.
It's not that I'm not flattered that you tok my opinion so seriously, honestly, I am just a little surprised that you did. After all I'm one of your newer members and the others made valid points as well.
Just so you know, I am a woman

User avatar
Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 420
Joined: 11 months ago
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: JV & Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Location: England

Post by Star » 8 months ago

DoubleFart wrote:
8 months ago
Ruslan wrote:
9 months ago
Curious to get @Star opinion on this, as she was also recently there.
Biggest plot twist of the thread. I had no idea. :thumbsup:
Oh I just realised, you didn't know I was a she until you saw that post, got it ;)



@PTRACER I take it back. I was wrong, I have changed my mind, I wish to withdraw my vote against a like button in the Motorsport Disucssion section!! Please can we have one? Please? :fingers:
Just so you know, I am a woman

Post Reply