Board rebuild complete

Announcements of any new features or alternations to the forum will be posted here. This is the place to submit any problems you have or suggestions on how to improve the forum.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Friends Reunited lost out like Myspace did, to Facebook. I got my grandad reuinted with his two best school friends through that site (about a year or two before one of them died of cancer) so it served its purpose.

I'll do what you suggest, I'll leave the old style there for people to use. The only real question now related to the available sections:

1. Whether to split up Motorsport Discussion into "Formula One" and "Other Series" (in the hope the latter gets a little more airtime)
2. Whether to introduce a new video section purely for this season videos only so spoilers can be avoided in the other sections and to encourage a little more discussion on them. Videos get posted but rarely commented on nowadays (maybe the Like button doesn't help either)
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

PTRACER wrote: 2. Whether to introduce a new video section purely for this season videos only so spoilers can be avoided in the other sections
I reckon spoiler tags would serve this purpose a lot better.

Or have a rule that you can't post accidents until a week after the accident occurred or something. (personally, I'm not so sure I'm keen on that idea, but it's still an idea i had)

There is also the advantage in the above two solutions of them requiring less work then your current solution :haha: (I imagine)
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

It's your forum Paul, you do what you want :lol:

If you're going to do anything though, please fix the width of the left column (where our username and avatars is) to just over the max width of the avatars, it really throws the forum out sometimes if someone has a 50px wide pic, and the next poster a 190px one, I like my lines straight, you see ;)

I cannot remember exactly how I did it at V8, but I think I changed the viewtopic template file, and just stuck in width=190 into the opening <TD> tags and it fixed the width that way.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

If you mean on the new template I uploaded last night (after you went to bed), I can't see any avatars stretching it out! They should be max 150x150 :)

Anyway, if that new template looks okay I'll upload it here :) I just want to fix a few of the icons, like the Quote and Edit buttons because they are SO small.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Example ere....

It's actually the smaller/non avatars that cause the issue :oops:
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Oh I see. I think I can sort that out. I'm working on the new template atm though.

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Yeah it's in viewtopic_body.html in the template editing section:

<!-- IF postrow.S_ROW_COUNT is even --><tr class="row1"><!-- ELSE --><tr class="row2"><!-- ENDIF -->

<td valign="top" class="profile">
<table cellspacing="4" align="center" width="208">
I just added the bit in red at V8 to fix the width of the online/offline icon table, and that seemed to fix it.

BTW the mobile theme isn't auto switching here, I have to click the switch to mobile theme button first, you did add the extra code right?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

LOL @ Ian " Ïf it aint broke dont fix it"...... I logged in today for the first time in a number of days, and on my parents computer to be confronted with a different look, and the option to retain the original theme. I just clicked retain original.... I guess my mind sees change like Ian did. Suppose I am a bit of an 'ít is what it is, and if it works (and I can see it clearly, without having to resort to Alt +) it is good sort of person'. :roll:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

LOL must be something about our generation, my dad is the same, always moaning about his ISP, by the time he get's used to their new homepage, they change it, drives him batty lol.

I find flash more annoying myself, the way browsers hang when flash is loading does my head in, I wish people (read webmasters) would grasp the original concept of only use flash where absolutely necessary and if you can avoid using it, instead of using the dam thing everywhere. Thank god it's use is minimal on phpbb.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Ian-S wrote:I find flash more annoying myself, the way browsers hang when flash is loading does my head in, I wish people (read webmasters) would grasp the original concept of only use flash where absolutely necessary and if you can avoid using it, instead of using the dam thing everywhere. Thank god it's use is minimal on phpbb.
I've got flash disabled for just that reason, browser works faster and stabler that way. Should I need flash you can always activate it later in the browser window or whitelist it for certain sites
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Yeah the latest version of opera comes with flash disabled by default (on the tablet) too.
I noticed it got considerably worse after flash 10.3 was released, all the security improvements and optimizations they added what seemed weekly just made the thing worse and worse lol..
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I have two computers at home and Flash crashes regularly on both in Firefox. I'm not sure if Firefox has become buggy, or whether it's Flash.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Right, we're back to where we were before now :haha: We have a fresh board with a clean database and I'm slowly reintegrating all the mods, hopefully with their latest versions. :)

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Everything is now working better than it ever has. All the functions that were broken or breaking the board have been fixed. Brb while I go off and cry with joy.

Note: New style will be available again later.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Ian-S wrote:LOL must be something about our generation, my dad is the same....
PTRACER wrote:Right, we're back to where we were before now :haha: We have a fresh board with a clean database and I'm slowly reintegrating all the mods, hopefully with their latest versions. :)
PTRACER wrote:Everything is now working better than it ever has. All the functions that were broken or breaking the board have been fixed. Brb while I go off and cry with joy.

Note: New style will be available again later.
:agreepost: Good work. :thumbsup: (Updates and latest versions I can deal with.... As long as new styles are optional.) :roll: :haha:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Thanks :P Although it looks like nothing has changed, I've basically reinstalled everything from scratch :lol: Don't worry, they are optional for VIPs.......and OAPs ;)